Friday, October 30, 2015

Inner Kids

Little children all in a row.
Dirty-faced.
Bright eyed.
Some glare at me.
Some smile.
All are defensive.
I smile,
Introduce myself
And wait,
Still and silent.
One, a freckled redhead,
Shrugs her shoulders in doubt.
Another, hairs straying from her pigtails,
Stands,
Lips aquiver in fear.
I do not push.
I am not forward.
I have time to wait
And will.
Waifs.
Urchins.
Orphans?
Unsure.
Unloved.
Unwashed.
I see their fear.
I know it.
I am well acquainted
With desertion,
Abuse,
Distrusting any adult.
I crouch.
Making myself smaller,
I wait with open heart.
The littlest one,
Diaper askew,
Eyes big,
Dragging a one-eyed Teddy Bear,
Steps forward.
She looks up at me solemn as an owl.
She smiles
Uncertainly,
Tugs at my shirt and asks,
"Hug?"
My heart leaps with joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment